Saturday, March 3, 2018

Magazine Format Research

To begin the process of creating my magazine, I wanted to research the aspects of a magazine that will make it impactful and appealing. In order to attract the most attention, I am planning on color schemes and other formatting. The first thing that people see when looking at a magazine is the cover, so the cover has to be as appealing as possible; this will determine whether or not someone is going to choose my magazine to read.
It is recommended to "not be shy" when it comes to the cover. The article I'm looking at recommends to "Try sticking to the A B C rule—stick to one A-heading (the magazine title), one strong (B) sub-heading (pulling out one article to be the main focus), and a larger selection of smaller (C) sub-headings. Almost every magazine cover uses this rule to promote balance in the layout." I am definitely going to utilize this rule when it comes to designing my cover.
Another tip from the article is to be minimalistic when it comes to fashion magazines in order to make the design look "as on trend and aspirational as possible". I still unsure about my genre so I don't know if this tip will be relevant to me yet, but it is a good thing to keep in mind.
The last tip I want to exploit from this article is to utilize beautiful photos as the main focus of the magazine. I agree that visuals are going to be really important in order to keep the reader engaged; a magazine with few images doesn't keep my attention, so I plan on having lots of images throughout the articles.

Source: 10 Tips for Designing High Impact Magazines


No comments:

Post a Comment